MLA Format Cover Page: Research Paper Writing Guidelines
MLA stands for the Modern Language Association, this association standard does not require you to have a cover page for your research paper, but we all know there will be one teacher that requires a cover page. When that time comes, you can rest easy knowing that you already have this covered. In order to create your cover page in the designated format, follow these instructions:
- Make sure the page is double spaced and all of the letters centered, this helps it look more professional.
- At the very top of the page, put your University/ Schools name.
- Skip down to about half way and type the title and if you have it, the subtitle.
- At the bottom, type your name and course name, and the due date as well.
Once you have your information typed out, that is it. That is the consistency of your MLA approved cover page. This page will help any research paper look more professional.
Guidelines to Writing a Research Paper
When starting on your research paper, it is best to know the guidelines which will determine how the paper will be typed up. Most professors prefer for their students to write research papers in the MLA format. When using this format it is best to keep in mind that this is a very strict format designed to make your paper more functional when being read. The MLA format steps are listed below.
- Make sure to double space everything! Text, quotations, cited works.
- Use only a one inch margin for the left, right, top and bottom.
- Number the pages in the upper right hand corner of every single page.
- Use citations to acknowledge any direct or indirect quotes.
- Make sure to underline any titles that you use.
After reading over the guidelines, if you still do not understand something, just ask your professor to clarify anything you do not understand. They will be more than glad to help.
Writing your Research Paper
Now that you are aware of the guidelines, you can actively begin your research. Be sure to write down where you found your sources, whether they are in a book or online. This way you will not be called out on plagiarism. Citing your sources is one of the top ways to prove that you did your research, well also the content of your research paper.